Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How to Kick Start Your Metabolism: Gluten Free Yes, No and Alternamtive Foods

Simple Ways to Kick Start Your Metabolism Detox Diet

Recommendations:

Pay careful attention to labels, buy foods which have minimum processing and preservatives.

Avoid anything which has a hydrolyzed ingredient, MSG, yeast extracts, corn syrup, evaporated cane juice etc.

 Again check labels for amounts of added sugars. Don’t eat while dehydrated….drink water first. This will help you from slipping and eating something sweet or from the “no” list.

If you have a thyroid problem, I suggest staying away from Soy and Gluten as much as possibe.  I was reading up on this (because I have a low metabolism due to underactive thyroid) and click on the following:  Article #1  and/or Article #2
Now, I'm not saying I have Celiac Disease but I feel a lot better Gluten free, my skin is clearer, I'm less bloated, I have more energy and i lost a lot of weight.   Also I will be posting something on Edocrine Distrupters AND Goitrens. BAD BAD BAD! for Thyroid issues or persons with any other Auto-Immune Diseases.
Foods prohibited on a gluten-free diet:


Any bread, cereal or other food made with wheat, rye, barley and oat flours or ingredients and byproducts made from those grains.

Processed foods containing wheat, gluten-derivatives, or thickeners. These foods include hot dogs, ice cream, salad dressings, canned soups, dried soup mixes, non-dairy creamers, processed cheeses, cream sauces, and hundreds of other common foods.

  • Alcohol
  • Any breads or wheat products such as wheat tortillas
  • Anything that does not say GLUTEN FREE on the packaging
  • Barley, bulgur, couscous, kamut, Oatmeal/oats, rye, spelt, wheat, sprouted wheat
  • Beef (all kinds)
  • Butter
  • Caffeinated beverages (Soda’s of any kind, & Coffee)
  • Canola oil
  • Cheese (all kinds)
  • Deli Meats
  • Dried Fruit
  • Fruit Juices, all fruit juices
  • Ham
  • Hot dogs and buns
  • Miso
  • Oatmeal/oats
  • Peanut Butter
  • Pistachio’s and Peanuts
  • Sausage
  • White Flour Foods – Pasta, Bread, White Rice

  

YES FOODS


BEANS & GRAINS – All Beans, Amaranth, Brown & Wild Rice, Brown Rice Pasta, Buckwheat, Corn Tortillas, Edamame, Millet, Quinoa


BEVERAGES – All Unsweetened: Water, Soymilk, Rice Milk, Green & Herbal tea, Coconut Milk/Water


DAIRY – Eggs, Milk (Fat Free – 2%), Yogurt (Plain, Low/Non Fat & Unsweetened) ( I Love using Greek Yogurt Fat Free Plain from TJ's and I have recipes for dips too.)


FRUIT – Berries (Fresh & Frozen good for shakes & Breakfast Options), Fresh Fruit (all kinds; keep Grapes & Watermelon to a minimum due to sugar content)


PROTEIN – Chicken Breast (Organic, No Skin), Cornish Hen, Lamb, Fish/Seafood (Any kind), Turkey


SNACKS – Hummus, Gluten & Wheat free bars, Gluten & Wheat Free Cereal (WF has a great selection of Gluten Free Cookies, especially the Pecan Cookies)


SPICES/EXTRAS – Almond Butter, Dark Chocolate (1oz & must be over 80% Dark), Flax Seed, Honey, Nuts (Fresh & Raw only...NO Peanuts or Pistacios), Olive Oil, Salsa (Homemade, if store bought make sure it’s wheat & gluten free), Sesame Seeds, Vegetable Soup, Wheat & Gluten Free crackers


VEGETABLES – All, Avocado, Edamame, Olives



 NO Foods Alternatives:
Alcohol
  Well there is no alternative so just stay away from the hooch.


Any breads or wheat products such as wheat tortillas
  Whole Foods has Brown Rice Tortillas and Gluten Free Bread (it's kinda dense so I just stayed away from the bread period).  If I did have an urge, for a burger I'd use the Ezekiel 4:9 Sesame bread which is really good and you can freeze portions you do not use.  Corn Tortillas are the best and are on the YES food.  GF Bread options are not available yet at Trader Joe's. 

Anything that does not say GLUTEN FREE on the packaging
  Just stick to Gluten Free.

Barley, bulgur, couscous, kamut, Oatmeal/oats, rye, spelt, wheat, sprouted wheat
  I've used a mixture of Amaranth & Millet as an alternative to a nutty flavored kind of breakfast meal.  You can also use Quinoa which is high in Calcium (1 Cup cooked is equivalent to the calcium in 1 gallon of Milk.)

Beef (all kinds)
  I know, I know but just stick with this.

Butter
  I sometimes would use Vegan butter.  It's not processed and still taste really good. I use Earth Brand or Earth Something from Whole Foods.

Caffeinated beverages (Soda’s of any kind, & Coffee)
  I kicked the Soda habit long ago but Coffee was hard but it's better you have less of an addition to it for the mornings.  I switched to Tea and used flavor infused honey sticks (from Target) for my tea or Agave Nectar as a liquid sugar substitute (you can get this for $2.99 approx at Trader Joe's).

Canola oil
  Not a problem since I love Extra Virgin Olive Oil so much that I take 1TBSP with lemon juice in the AM when doing gluten free.  Helps your digestive system and your skin looks FABULOUS!

Cheese (all kinds)
  Two words: Whole foods.  They have vegan and Almond Cheese (cheeder, Mozzarella and American).  You really don't notice the differnce.  It may take a little longer to melt but the taste is really the same and it's NOT PROCESSED like other cheese.

Deli Meats
  Anytime I want Deli Meats, I just think of how Head Cheese Deli Meat is made.  Processed and chopped.  Not for me.

Dried Fruit
  Fresh is better.

Fruit Juices, all fruit juices
  I admit around the time I have my montly visitor I CRAVE all the bad things.  So i do splurge in the occasional Orange Juice to calm down my cramps.  But during Gluten free times....I measure my cups.  I dont chug it out of the jug like a sailor.


Ham
  I love me some ham..Ham Sammich's, hambones, hamhocks.  JK.  I do like ham but I don't love it like a newborn baby so go without it.

Hot dogs and buns
  Well there goes my bread pudding.

Miso
  I love me some Miso Soup, but stick with the plan man!

Oatmeal/oats
  I switched to Amaranth and Millet.  It may be an acquired taste but it's really good and filling!

Peanut Butter
  Almond Butter, Cashew Butter and other butters (but not butter butter) seemed to work for me.  I would spread 1 TBSP Almond Butter on a Brown Rice Cake (TJ's and WF) with fresh fruit is a good snack.

Pistachio’s and Peanuts
  I never liked Peanuts anyhow and Pistacio's hurt my braces.  I buy the snack packet sized nuts from TJ's in Almond or Walnut and I don't have to measure and they are not on the NO list.

Sausage
  I will keep my dirty mouth shut.  I love sausage though.  (I willl keep my dirty mouth shut).  I switched to sticking to Turkey. Turkey Sausage, Turkey Bacon, Turkey Ground.

White Flour Foods – Pasta, Bread, White Rice
  Pasta: Brown Rice Pasta, Corn Pasta, Quinoa Pasta (WF and TJ.  TJ has cheaper Brown Rice Spaghetti Pasta, Fusili and Penne).
 
  Bread, this was covered earlier.  They need to come up with a not so dense form.  HOWEVER, however, they do have these AWESOME "Cream Biscuits" at WF that are great to crumble up as an alternative to mashed potatoes, or you can split in half and toast it and taste great with vegan butter or plain or as a bkfst sandwich with turkey and eggs/egg whites. 
 
  White Rice well, I swtiched to Brown Rice and Quinoa.  I have a great recipe for Carmalized Onions with Spinach and musroom that goes great with Quinoa or Brown Rice.  Plus no need for Soy Sauce so less sodium in your diet! YAY!

No comments: