Friday, September 3, 2010

Food Review: Bob's Red Mill GF Pancake Mix


Bob looks like he should be painting pictures of the ocean like the dude from PBS or something nautical.  Ever since Whole Foods doesn't carry the brand I really liked, I've been skeptical on spending money on other brands to just have them sit in my cupboard for 10 years (okay more like a year and it's one of the brands listed at the end of this post).

Well I said, Bob, I always see you here in the market so let's do this.

I did and it worked out!  I made some GF Banana Pancakes last week and they tasted lovely.  I used Agave Nectar of course as my syrup.  I didn't add oil though (even if it said a teaspoon or so).

Follow their directions to make the batter but here is what I've learned.  Wait about 3 minutes after you've mixed to let it stand and so some magical stuff that it's suppose to do (so i read on the internet).  Then add 1 smashed banana (no peel, duh), a teaspoon of good REAL Vanilla Extract and a dash of cinnamon.  That's my secret.  If I have Macadamia Nuts, I would chop them up nice and add for a lil' crunch.  Serve with Agave Nectar (cheapest at Trader Joe's).

Other Brands I've tried
Arrowhead Mills - ummm I'll pass.  I tried once and it just wasn't the same. bleech.
365 (I want to say but not sure) - this one brand was the best.  The batter and taste were great, but Whole Foods doesn't carry it anymore and I'm sad.

No comments: